Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What Is Church?

We need to rethink our definition of “church.” When we come to “church” as an individual who is primarily a consumer we begin to view church as an “event” where we can consume spirituality or religion to meet our own personal needs. The alternative here is to move from church as event to church as family. When we approach “church” as individuals in a community where we are cooperating together for a common goal its almost impossible to think of church as an event. Instead a better metaphor for church, as we have talked about at The Well a lot recently, is “family.” A family cooperating together to care together for the individual needs, all for a common goal.

- Todd Hiestand pastor of The Well (From the Provocative Church blog)

2 comments:

SavvyD said...

I am curious about that too. I am a Christian having issues with church. I went to one recently and posted pics of it on my blog. To me it looked like a nightclub. Please have look and tell me what you think.

www.SavvySingleChristian.blogspot.com

Cephas said...

Thanks for reading and posting, SavvyD. I visited one recently that had a definite rock concert feel complete with a light show and smoke. Something about it just didn't feel right. Is that my fault for being religious, or has a line been crossed? I'm not sure.