Thursday, October 18, 2007

I Know What He Meant

Some years ago a thoughtful friend and colleague peeled back a portion of his soul's veneer to provide me a fuller, more insightful glimpse into what made him tick -- and delight. The revelation came in the form of a pithy comment almost off-handedly embedded in a dialog we had engaged concerning our shared vocation of "Church Planter."

I will not soon forget the whimsical ease with which John delivered his gift of self to me that day, as in a mere moment he provided the easel, canvas and hues to produce in my mind's eye the vivid picture which summarized his humor and expectations, as well as our profession. With casual aplomb Rev. John Montgomery (Lake Mary, Florida) invited me into his inner world when he simply stated, "Sometimes I like to go down to the airport and just sit in my parked car at the end of a runway. It thrills me no end that something is getting off the ground with absolutely no effort on my part."

This Blog represents a marvelous means of intimate communion with one another, and it has "gotten off the ground" with absolutely no effort on my part. Hallelujah!

Church Planters, you see, come outfitted with a closet full of hats that must adeptly be worn and interchanged with regularity. On one hand, we are tasked with various duties and challenges which can be wonderfully fulfilling and novel, it is true. Yet, at the same time the sheer volume of (often) quite diverse activities and demands on our ministerial plate seem laughable and mutually exclusive to the point of ridicule.

Dealing with people can be "messy" as you already know, since you are one. It can also be gratifying to the point of tears. Either way, and at any given moment, it is consuming of time, energy, and emotions. Nevertheless, I did volunteer. Twice.

I would do it again.

All that to say that this Blog represents a "take-off" for which I was unnecessary. Excellent! And, as I stare towards the cyber skies into which this vessel has launched successfully, I settle into my virtual 1960's vintage muscle car and smile with amused and relieved delight.

Thank you, Cephas, and all those who contributed to erecting this forum for hearts and souls to connect. May it be said in the days to come that many folks of the Salisbury Piedmont community of North Carolina -- and, perhaps, kindred spirits in the Siberian tundra; Tibetan highlands of Asia; tropical climes of sub-Saharan Africa; glacial antiquity of Antarctica; watery expanse of Oceania; vast interior of the Amazon Rain Forest; verdant forests of Western Europe, and all the concrete jungles here on our home planet -- are blessed and served by this powerful blogging tool called "Conspiracy of Kindness." Fly high and far, C of K!

Dreams, hopes, passions, fears, failings, prayers, questions, answers, real life -- all are welcome here. Stay tuned and you will become more acquainted with my own. Warning: mining the depths of the human soul can be scary. Enter into this communion with caution -- and with confidence that the Maker, and re-Maker of that soul is God.

I wish I had said what John said.
I guess I just did.
I know what he meant.

God's best to you, now and always.
Cameron, (a.k.a. SouthernViking.)

No comments: