Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Funny How Things Work Out

The joint Thanksgiving service at Back Creek Presbyterian Sunday night was once again thoroughly enjoyable. The church building itself is 150 years old this year and the church has been there for over 200 years. The building is beautiful, but the church is far better still!

It is funny, though, how insular we are even as brothers and sisters in Christ. At the start of the service we had to be desegregated from our individual congregations. Self-consciously, we had huddled in our little familiar groups. I am glad Pastor Thrailkill had the courage to shake things up a little at the beginning of the service and force us to mingle. In fact, he did it again right before the fellowship, challenging each of us to sit at a table with someone who wasn't from our church. I met some wonderful people as a result - people that I'll look forward to seeing again. Once again it was proved that we (Christians) ARE all family.

The text for the sermon Sunday night was Psalm 118. It begins and ends, "Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; His love endures forever." What a great place to begin our meditation during this Thanksgiving holiday! It must have been on the Lord's mind, for in my daily Psalm reading in the One Year Bible the past two days has been in Psalm 118. Funny, huh? I wonder if He is trying to tell me something?

Well, seeing how God seems to be speaking this Psalm to His people right now (or at least to me), I plan to make it my meditation this week. I pray that God will help you to reflect on all of the things that you have to be thankful for in the midst of all of the holiday's chaos. Have a wonderful, blessed day of Thanksgiving.

No comments: