Tuesday, November 27, 2007

James 2:26

I suppose that it is a little tacky to quote yourself in a blog, but oh well, sometimes you write something that you just don't think that you can improve upon. Not to say that the following quote from my post called The Least Of These is Pulitzer Prize winning stuff, but it really communicates what I want to say in this forum as we are heading towards the big Christmas parties that we have scheduled.

I was talking with my good friend Bruce after the service and we were both feeling kind of low and worn out. We've both been taking a little time in the Lord's crucible lately, and I confessed to him how dry I had been feeling this past week - lonely for the Lord's presence. (Isn't it funny how being lonely for the Lord will often disguise itself as loneliness for other company? But I digress.) He suggested that it was perhaps the enemy's attack. We talked for a little bit longer and in the course of that discussion decided that we should do some servant evangelism together soon. (See Steve Sjogren's book Conspiracy Of Kindness.) As we left the church we passed a car broken down in the middle of the road. I stopped to ask if the guy driving needed help, and he could only answer me in Spanish. I went to park the car and looked up and there was Bruce! He was stopping to help too.

Now you need to understand, I am utterly NOT mechanical. I know next to NOTHING about what is going on under the hood of a car - especially if it isn't doing what it is supposed to be doing. However, Bruce is VERY mechanical. We helped the fellow to get his car out of the road and then Bruce went to work on the car. I used the little Spanish I knew to talk to Carlos and before you knew it Bruce had the car running again! We didn't say a word to Carlos about God or Jesus - I probably could have if I had been in practice - but as we went on our way I felt like I had just touched the Lord's fellowship for the first time in the past seven days. Is it possible that we met the Lord broken down on the road? Matthew 25:40 would seem to indicate that we did.

Perhaps God let me get dry and hungry for His presence so that I would sense it so clearly when I encountered it with Carlos this afternoon. If so, may He not let me forget to seek His presence even amongst "the least of these."
This encounter this past Sunday has stayed with me over the past couple of days. I am hungry to do a Servant Evangelism project between now and Christmas.

I actually have one in mind - not nearly as ambitious as the roofing project we did! I was thinking about contacting one (or several) stores at the mall and finding out when their busiest projected time will be one weekend. Then I will ask permission for a group of us to station ourselves around at the exit area cash registers and offer to assist customers with large packages to their cars. It is simple and inexpensive and will give us opportunities to talk with these folks while we are waiting for someone to serve and while we are serving!

What do you think? We would only go for an hour - two at the most. I believe the impact would be tremendous! All I need now is some volunteers. The two dates that I have in mind are the 8th or the 15th, but we could do it later too. I am leaning towards the 15th to give me a little time to promote the outing and to do all the planning. Please respond in the comments if you would be willing to help.

“But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit upon his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered in his presence, and he will separate the people as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’
Matthew 25:31-40

1 comment:

Cameron said...

Count me "in" Brother. I trust a prayerful approach by several of us will result in many becoming blessings, and lots more receiving them